Tired of eating the same thing everyday? Why not be innovative and make a baked dish with a light salad tonight?
So after all the festivities of foie gras, drinking, and eating rich food..i have decided to go back to my gym routine and healthy eating and made a apero dinner to share with my parents. It included a small cucumber & mint soup, a mini salmon & creeme cheese sashimi, small toasts with tomatoes,feta & basilic and last a not least a cheese souffle.
I love souffle..whether sweet or savoury and its so easy to make..that your dinner tonight will be ready within 40 minutes.and it goes very well with a nice cold salad in this warm weather. So i thought i’d share the recipe with you…you can vary it by adding other flavours too..but i thought id do simple this time..enjoy and let me know if you liked it.
1. 1 cup whole milk
2. 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (abt 28g)
3. 3 tablespoons purpose flour
4. 1/2 teaspoon paprika
5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
6. Pinch of ground nutmeg
7. 4 large egg yolks
8. 5 large egg whites
9. Cheese- i use emmental but you can use kraft cheddar or parmesan and as much as you want your souffle to be cheesy
1.Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400F.(200deegreesC)
2.Butter 5/6 medium size soufflé dish.
3.Warm milk in small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming(microwave also ok)
4. Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
5. Add flour and whisk until mixture begins to foam and loses raw taste, about 3 minutes (do not allow mixture to brown)
6. Remove saucepan from heat; let stand 1 minute. Pour in warm milk, whisking until smooth. The mixture should look like this
7. Return to heat and cook, whisking constantly until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Remove from heat; whisk in paprika, salt, and nutmeg.
9.Add egg yolks 1 at a time, whisking to blend after each addition.
10.Scrape soufflé base into large bowl. Cool to lukewarm.
11.Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of whites into lukewarm or room temperature soufflé base to lighten. Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions while gradually sprinkling in cheese.
12.Transfer batter to prepared dish.Place dish in oven.Bake until soufflé is puffed and golden brown on top and center moves only slightly when dish is shaken gently, about 25 minutes (do not open oven door during first 20 minutes)